The Huaihe River is located in the hinterland of the Central Plains, winding thousands of miles, at the intersection of the north and the south, and has a very important strategic position in the country. Flood disasters occurred frequently in history, which brought serious disasters to the people on both sides of the Huaihe River. In 1950, Mao Zedong issued the great call of we must repair the Huaihe River, which set off the first climax of the Huaihe River in New China. Under the guidance of the principle of both storage and drainage, after more than 70 years of construction, a six-in-one flood control and disaster reduction engineering system consisting of reservoirs, gates and dams has basically been formed.
After the 18th National Congress of the Communist Party of China, new changes have taken place in the country's thinking on water control. For example, the sixteen-character water control policy and the Huaihe Ecological Economic Belt have been upgraded to a national strategy, which puts forward new requirements and tasks for Huaihe River control. In order to cope with these changes and further improve the comprehensive management level of the Huaihe River Basin, in August 2017, Hohai University and the Huaihe River Commission of the Ministry of Water Resources established the Huaihe River Research Center, intending to give full play to the advantages of multidisciplinary integration and provide scientific guidance and technical support to solve the major scientific problem of Huaihe River Basin development and protection and 38 key technical issues for further governance of the Huaihe River.
2 Strategic Position
(1) Research and development center for 38 major projects for further management of Huaihe River Basin
(2) Research center for major scientific issues of ecological environment protection and governance in the Huaihe River Basin
(3) Major decision-making consultation center and international communication platform for Huaihe River management
(4) Training center and education popularization base for the Huaihe River management talent team
3 Research Team
(1) River management and ecological environment
(2) Numerical simulation and digital twin of hydrodynamic system
(3) Substance transport and regulation in watershed water network
(4) Water cycle and watershed hydrological simulation
Research directions: river management, plain river network operation management, engineering hydraulics, water resource management, river network material transportation and regulation, water ecological environment, smart water conservancy, ecological waterways and other related majors.